Leather is a durable and long-lasting material, but it does require proper care to maintain its appearance and longevity. Check out these easy tips for caring for your leather goods.
- Clean leather regularly: Use a soft, slightly damp cloth to wipe down the leather strap or handbag, removing any dirt or debris. Avoid using harsh detergents or chemicals, as these can damage the leather.
- Protect leather from water: Water can damage leather, so try to avoid getting your leather handbag or strap wet. If it does get wet, dry it off as soon as possible with a soft cloth. Humidity can also damage leather over time. Areas with extreme humidity are not ideal for leather products; a protectant can help shield the leather from these conditions.
- Keep leather away from harsh chemicals: Chemicals like cleaning products, oils and perfumes can damage the leather, so try to avoid exposing your leather handbag or strap to them. If your leather comes into contact with any of these chemicals, try to wipe id down with a slightly damp soft cloth.
- Condition leather: Leather can dry out over time, causing it to crack and lose its suppleness. To prevent this, use a leather conditioner to keep the leather moisturized and supple.
- Keep leather away from direct sunlight: The UV rays can cause the leather to fade or discolor over time. Long term exposure to direct sunlight should be avoided, for example, leaving your bag on a shelf near a window where sunlight comes through.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Heat and cold can damage leather, so try to store your leather handbag or strap in a cool, dry place.
- Keep it stuffed: When not using your handbag, stuff it with paper or fabric to help maintain its shape. Avoid overstuffing which can cause it to stretch out of shape or cause creases in the leather.
It's not difficult to keep your leather handbag or strap looking beautiful for years to come. If your leather good came with care instructions, be sure to read them carefully as some leather may require special care. Lastly, if you apply a leather conditioner or protectant, follow the instructions carefully to avoid unnecessary damage.
Leave a comment